Friday, September 26, 2008

yummy hospital food


Although I do wish it otherwise, good food isn't easy to find. Most of the time, we end up eating whatever's convenient. And since I practically live in the hospitals, eating out isn't that much of an option except for those rare days where we have fabulously long breaks and we can drive out for our meals.

Having said that, there is good food to be found in hospital canteens. My favourite has to be the yong tau foo from the 8th floor cafeteria in SGH. Yong tau foo, for the uninitiated, is essentially a clear consomme soup containing a varied selection of food items including fish balls, crab sticks, bittergourds, cuttlefish, lettuce, lettuce fingers, as well as chilis and various forms of fresh produce, seafood and meats common in Chinese cuisine.
The foods are then sliced into bite-size pieces, cooked briefly in boiling broth and then served either in the broth as soup or with the broth in a separate bowl. (taken from ever reliant Wikipedia)

What I really love about this yong tau foo store is the widely variable selection of food items. Sometimes I can't help myself and end up picking about $7 worth of items (and if you eat yong tau foo often enough you know that's a crazy amount of items). Being in a hospital, it's fabulously clean, without flies lying around the way they do in food court or hawker centres. But what makes it really special is the broth. It doesn't look particularly remarkable, but heck, it sure taste pretty good. If I'm not wrong, the broth is derieved partially from yellow beans, which gives the soup a slightly cloudy tinge as oppossed to the usual clear soup you'll find. Apparently the laksa version is award-winning. I didn't try it though, I can't take spicy food and the oil in the soup freaks me out a little. (I know, I know. Please don't judge me) I loved it so much I ate it nearly every day for the entire 8 weeks I was at SGH. Now that I'm not longer at SGH, I find myself pining for the yong tau foo pretty often. And I'm not the only one who feels that way!

It can be pretty hard to find though. It's at the 8th floor at the connecting pathway between Blk 6 and Blk 5.

So that's just headups for those who find themselves in SGH for lunch one of these days. You know where to go!

-deb

photo from the world wide web

3 comments:

Testosterone said...

yong tau foo is for healthy people.

Sonia said...

hi! :) i found your blog through fashionation! hahaha how odd is that. anyway, MORE HOSPITAL FOOD REVIEWS please. hahaha, i'm M2, and i'm not really looking forward to more science-canteen-style lunches in the hospitals. hahaha.

sonia

Testosterone said...

sonia, haha that's so weird that you found it through there. the food reviews are done by my gf, so i'll pass the msg to her and see what she can do. she's an m3 so i think she's probably eaten alot of good.. or bad, hospital food by now..